2021 – Ph.D. in English Literature (Anticipated)
University of Pennsylvania
2016 – M.A. in English Literature
Graduate Interdisciplinary Specialization in Medieval Studies
The Ohio State University
2014 – Bachelor of Arts and Science in Honours Environment
Minor in English Literature
Fellowships and Honours
- Benjamin Franklin Fellowship (Penn 2016-21)
- Delmas Foundation Scholarship (California Rare Book School 2018)
- Distinguished University Fellowship (OSU 2014-15)
- First Class Honours (McGill 2014)
- Margaret Pratt Scholarship (McGill 2011-12)
1. Selected Presentations
- Fish: Friends, or Food? Medieval Perspectives on Aquatic Animals. Global Prehumanisms, University of Illinois (October 18-20, 2018).
- Planh and Plants: The Vegetal Contexts of Troubadour Laments. 75th South Central Modern Language Association Convention, San Antonio (October 11-13, 2018).
- “For They Kan Nat the Craft”: Art(ifice) and Chaucer’s Robotic Horse. Animals: Oxford Medieval Graduate Conference, University of Oxford (June 28, 2018).
- “Le Diable qui parle par ta bouche”: Vulgar Language from Mankind to Michel Tremblay’s Les Belles-Soeurs. 53rd International Congress on Medieval Studies, Kalamazoo (May 10-13, 2018).
- Swearing in Church: Medieval Profanity and Québécois Sacres (roundtable). 53rd International Congress on Medieval Studies, Kalamazoo (May 10-13, 2018).
- “English Latin” and the Vulgarity Effect: Linguistic Discord in Middle English and Québécois Drama. Vagantes, University of Minnesota (March 22-24, 2018).
- Snips, Snails, and Paper Trails: The Secrets of Penn Ms. Codex 627. Reading the Natural World: 24th Annual ACMRS Conference, Arizona State University (February 8-10, 2018).
- A Horsly Gyn: Chaucer’s Squire as Poetic Engineer. Auctoritas: 9th Annual Medievalists @ Penn Conference, University of Pennsylvania (March 17, 2017).
- “For They Kan Nat the Craft”: Art(ifice), (In)Completeness, and Chaucer’s Robotic Horse. Vagantes, University of Notre Dame (March 9-11, 2017).
- “Verdiers d’amor”: Nature and Culture in the Troubadour Albas. Vagantes, Rice University (February 18-20, 2016).
- Eden and the East: Medieval Travellers on the Edge. 57th Midwest Modern Language Association Convention (November 12-15, 2015).
- Velum Scissum Est: Unveiling the Contents and Contexts of a Liturgical Fragment. Texts and Contexts, Ohio State University (October 30-31, 2015).
- “No Gret Mervayle”: Truth and Nature in The Book of John Mandeville. Vagantes, University of Florida (February 19-21, 2015).
- Origins, Functions, and Transformations of an Italian Musical Palimpsest (Poster). Marco Manuscript Workshop, University of Tennessee (February 6-7, 2015).
2. Exhibit Curation
- Scanning the Medieval Skies: Astronomy and Society, 1150-1550. 94th Annual Meeting of the Medieval Academy of America, University of Pennsylvania (March 7-9, 2019).
- Online version at aylinmalcolm.com/astro.
3. Conferences Co-Organized
- Mediocrity: 11th Annual Medievalists @ Penn Conference, University of Pennsylvania (February 22, 2019).
- Environments of Modernity Symposium, University of Pennsylvania (March 22-23, 2018).
- Vulnerability: 10th Annual Medievalists @ Penn Conference, University of Pennsylvania (March 17, 2018).
- Metamorphosis: MRGSA Graduate Conference, Ohio State University (October 23-24, 2015).
1. University of Pennsylvania
- Spring 2018: Introduction to Shakespeare (Teaching Assistant).
- March 2018: Workshop on Digital Editing and the Medieval Manuscript Roll (Junior Teacher).
- Fall 2017: Chaucer: Medieval Poetry & Modern Performance (Teaching Assistant).
2. Ohio State University
- Fall 2015, Spring 2016: First Year Writing (Instructor of Record).
3. AIESEC International & ICL Group of Colleges (Haryana, India)
- Summer 2011: English as a Second Language (Teaching Intern).
Relevant Work Experience
- Kislak Center, University of Pennsylvania.
- Emily Steiner, University of Pennsylvania. Research Assistant (2017).
Professional and University Service
- Medievalists @ Penn Working Group. Co-Director, with Matthew Aiello and Nathalie Lacarrière (2018-19); with Shoshana Adler (2017-18).
- Penn Anthropocene and Animal Studies Working Group. Co-Director, with Nicole Welk-Joerger (2017-19).
- Vagantes Board of Directors. Webmaster (2016-18).
- Workshop on Digital Editing and the Medieval Manuscript Roll. Co-Organizer, with Eric Ensley, Gina Hurley, and Judith Weston (March 2018).
- Penn Graduate English Association. First-Year Representative (2016-17).
- Ohio State Medieval and Renaissance Graduate Student Association. Media Officer (2015-16).
- CKUT Campus-Community Radio. Arts & Culture/Music Intern, Volunteer (2012-14).
Technical Skills and Training
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, GIS, HTML, LaTeX, Omeka, XML. Basic proficiency in CSS, Python.
- Participant in English Paleography course, California Rare Book School (August 2018).
- Participant in Introduction to Programming for Humanists course, Humanities Intensive Learning and Teaching (June 2018).
- Multispectral imaging assistant for R.B. Toth Associates at the Huntington Library (May 2018).
- Work experience in database management (Schoenberg Database, Microsoft Access); audio recording and editing (Adobe Audition, Audacity).
Association for the Study of Literature and Environment; Canadian Society of Medievalists; Delaware Valley Medieval Association; New Chaucer Society; Society for the History of Authorship, Reading and Publishing.
- Strong proficiency in Middle English, Old & Middle French
- Reading proficiency in Latin, Old English, Old Occitan
- Fluent French
- Intermediate Spanish and Turkish
- Basic Italian and Japanese